How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My Grandad has left me his house in his will after I gave up

This answer was rated:

My Grandad has left me his house in his will after I gave up my house and moved myself, my husband, and my children into his house to care full time for him and my nan who had altzimers. Sadly in February my nan passed away. Since her death my grandad's 3 children have found out that he has changed his Will, leaving everything to me.....from then on they have been bombarding him with all kind of threats, and ultimatums. Totally emotionally blackmailing him into changing his Will.
I would like to know if what they are doing to him is a crime and if there is anything we can do to protect him?

Can you describe the type of threats/ultimatums/emotional blackmail that they have been carrying out?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They have told him that none of the family will have anything to do with him if he doesn't change his will.

They have said they will make his life as difficult as possible.

Have told him that they will report us to the police for stealing my nan's belongings and sellingthem before she passed away.

That what he's doing is destroying my children.

They are saying that I am financially and mentally abusing him, that I am also neglecting him and my children. They are.saying they are going to report all of these things if he doesn't change his will.

They are also trying to make him feel guilty by saying they will all be financially ruined if the doesn't leave them the money in his will


Thanks for your question.

Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.

Kind regards,



Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

Plainly, your grandfather is free to leave his estate to whoever he wishes and obviously he is doing this via his Will.

The police are only going to be interested if there is a crime. The types of behaviour you given examples of probably fall just short of being a crime. However, if they are falsely accusing you of stealing your nan’s belongings and selling them and they know that the accusations are false then the police may be interested in it.

Basically, if they are doing this now then you can be sure that they will attempt to dispute the Will if your grandfather passes away. This means you should consider how best to prepare yourself for this.

I would make a list of the matters that they have done and contact the police in any event. Make a note of the telephone conversation and any action taken as a result by the officer. This records the fact that you had concerns about their conduct and evidences them by informing the police. This will help if they dispute.

Secondly, I would consider asking your grandfather to attend a local doctor to get them to confirm he has mental capacity, which is the ability to understand the implications of the decisions he makes. This will help enforce the fact that he had the requisite mental capacity to make his Will which means that it is less likely to be disputed in this way.

Thirdly, I would set out your concerns to the family in writing in a measured, even-handed letter explaining dispassionately that you understand they are disappointed but that your grandfather’s wishses should be respected. You should records the timeline/chronology of their behaviour in the letter and ask them to consider stopping it because you don’t think it’s good for your grandfather to be exposed to the apparent discontent/vitriol

Fourthly, I would consider instructing a solicitor to also outline your concerns in a letter to the family by way of further documentary proof of your concerns.

If he is willing and holds his will at home you might consider suggesting that your grandfather deposits his will with a local solicitors for safekeeping.

If your grandfather is willing then he can outline the fact that he has considered all their interests/needs in determining who he should leave his estate to and that he has decided - on balance - that he would best like his estate to go to you.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you