How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have agreed to pay over the required amount of child maintenance

This answer was rated:

I have agreed to pay over the required amount of child maintenance to my wife during our separation, but have been advised that I could pay bills to this amount ( mortgage, utilities etc ), is this correct?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much do you earn gross per annum, how old are the children and how often will you have them overnight?
Is your ex likely to involve the CSA?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Clare

My names Andy

Last year I earned £35,500, my kids are 17 and 12 ( nearly 18 and 13 ),

at the moment I'm living with my parents and don't have them overnight due to space and verbal agreement with my wife.

I'm in limbo a bit really at the moment, finances are up in the air, but eventually I'll be looking for rented accommodation.

My wife has contacted the CSA and made a claim, they have sent me a letter advising I have to pay £464.00 per month. I have agreed to pay my wife £500 per month, plus pay her monthly phone contract and our life insurance policy. I do ask her to pay her minimum credit card payment of £65.00 per month though.

How much is the mortgage payment?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

£330 per month

If you wish to avoid being called upon to pay CSA arrears it is better to pay your ex the money and let her meet all the bills
I would suggest that yo consider carefully the position on her phone bill since that could be an unknown amount if she exceeds the contract allowance
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you