How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35076
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I found out i have a son from an ex girlfriend who put another

This answer was rated:

I found out i have a son from an ex girlfriend who put another guy on the birth certificate . I assume she committed paternity fraud but the son is 22 now . Is there still a case of paternity fraud to be answered ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What is it that you wish to achieve?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i haven't met him yet . His Mother won't speak to me . Could i still legally require a DNA test even though he's over 18 if there's a reasonable suspicion an offence was committed ?

There is no likelihood of any criminal investigation - all your ex has to say is that she actually believed the person named was the father
However you are indeed entitled to apply to the Court for a Declaration of Parentage and to force this young man to take a DNA test
This is done using the form here
Whether this is a wise way of approaching him is a different matter
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry , just noticed you gave me this answer . Many thanks :)

You are most welcome
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you