How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Hello I am currently in the early proceeeds of my wife and

Customer Question


I am currently in the early proceeeds of my wife and I separating. She is living in our marital home which we own jointly, with our two children. I am contributing to paying the mortgage until she can afford to pay it herself. From next month the mortgage payments will be coming out of her own bank account and she will be paying it.

She has asked for me to sign the house over to her which I am happy to do as long as we separate a joint loan we have together into separate names (refinancing) which she has not agreed to so are at stalemate currently.

My question is can she have any claims over the house once she starts paying the mortgage (even though it is still in our joint name), and what can she do with regards XXXXX XXXXX joint loan (can she make me pay the full amount). I am looking for an amicable agreement but she only seems to want things her own way?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?