How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have recently separated from my wife which has left me very

This answer was rated:

I have recently separated from my wife which has left me very depressed.
I am still living in the family house with our children who are aged 22 and 20.
Can my wife force me to sell the house?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The house is worth about £430k with £110k mortgage, there are not any assets or debts of much value. My wife's income is about 20k my income is varied as I am self employed and due to bad weather and my frame of mind it hasn't been much recently.
My wife is currently renting an apartment with a girlfriend and has not contributed anything towards my expenses for at least 6 months.
How much does a one bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Probably up to £250k for a maisonette.
What about a Studio property?
How old are you both?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There's not many smaller properties in the local area.
I am 48 and my wife is 47.
I am afraid that the news is bad.
Either using Property Law or within the financial side of Divorce proceedings your ex can indeed apply for an Order for the sale of the house and it will be granted as there is no reason that the court will see for not doing so.
Your children are adults and you are both still under 60 and the proceeds of sale will give each of you a good deposit on an alternative property
I am afraid that if she is not living in the property then your ex i snot expected to contribute toward sit
I am sorry to give you such bad news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you