How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my wife and I separated last year in September. Im I entitled

This answer was rated:

my wife and I separated last year in September. I'm I entitled to half the house, we lived there as man and wife for 11 years, but the mortgage is in her sole name.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are there any children involved?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The house is worth approx. two hundred and forty thousand.

Amount outstanding is £37000.00

We have 1 child aged 12


my income is about £19000 per year

my wife's is about 11000 per year

but she has many shares with many companys..

don't know how much, she kept it secret..

How was the original purchase funded?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my wife sold her house she owned, and sold some shares, the rest of the money she took out a mortgage for about £45000.00. she funded

all the money. But then left employment, to bring up our son..It was left to me pay the mortgage, for a few years, until she started work again.


I also added value to the property by paying for a conservatory, and house improvements.

How much does a two bedroom property in the same school area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


A relationship of 11 years certainly gives you a financial interest in the Matrimonial home - but given that your wife brought all the capital to the relationship a 50/50 split is unlikely
The fact that the property is held in her sole name is XXXXX XXXXX
A Settlement in the range of ^0/40 to 70/30 in her favour is likely to be the outcome
You should try and negotiate matters with her using Family mediation (
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you