How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34887
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband has two children from a previous marriage. Both

This answer was rated:

My husband has two children from a previous marriage. Both children were born in the 80's and before my husband and his ex wife married. There are no legal documents drawn up to agree visitation however up till now the children have stayed with us every other weekend. He has contributed weekly to their upbringing. I have two questions
1. Is he legally bound via CSA etc. to pay toward their upbringing
2. If yes, when should this stop.

I know this probably sounds awfull - a father possibly not wanting to contribute - but this is not the case. His ex wife is extremely demanding and quite aggressive with it. We just want to know the facts.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When were the children born?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, it was the 90's not the 80's


1997 &1999

Your husband is liable to pay maintenance whilst the children are under 20 and in full time (more than 12 hours a week) Secondary (not University) education
Once they move on to tertiary education (University) then any financial arrangements are made between the children and their father directly
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you