How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34903
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am a single mother of a two yr old girl, to get peace I want

This answer was rated:

I am a single mother of a two yr old girl, to get peace I want to move back to england as I currently live in northern ireland. My childs father is on her birth certificate, is there anything he can do to stop me taking my daughter away??
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What contact does her father have at the moment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At the moment because of work he has my daughter on a wednesdyay and a sunday from 10-4 because of our situation this had to be arranged by a solicitor locally. But he has now retired and I needed to know before I can make any plans

After you move back will you be willing to agree to overnight contact in the future?
Will you be able to finance trips back for contact?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only reason why my daughter stays overnight is because of my work commitments and this is known by her father. When I dont work, if im off on holidayd for example, she doesn't stay with him until I get sorted in england I won't be able to finance trips..

I am afraid that you need either the father's permission or an Order from the Court to remove the Child from NI
If you fail to get this then your ex can force you to return with the child until a Court has decided what the long term arrangements should be.
To get Permission from the court you will need to show how you will maintain the contact with her father
You should try and discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation to try and reach an agreement
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you