How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35059
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi. Im currently on maternity leave till june. I was made

Customer Question

Hi. I'm currently on maternity leave till june. I was made redundant in Dec 2013and paid the remainder of SMP in Decembers pay. I am currently receiving child tax credits, lone parent. Do I qualify for legal aid?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Legal Aid is now only available in limited Circumstances - what kind of matter would you need it for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am the respondant to a court hearing for 'a residence order or contact order' and also when I go through divorce in the coming months.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
has there been any documented Domestic Violence (Police involvement) within the last two years?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just on the one occasion in feb 2014 police involvement by myself and the ex was warned and cautioned I believe as the officer involved said thats what was going to happen

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Legal Aid is no longer available in family matters.
However where there has been recent Domestic Violence then it can still be possible to obtain it
You need to find a Family law Specialist locally who still deals with Legal Aid
You can find one here
You will also need a letter from the police confirming that he was Cautioned for Domestic Violence
You can read more here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details