How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34903
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My daughter has just received a letter from her ex partners

This answer was rated:

My daughter has just received a letter from her ex partners Solicitor stating he has psychosis, was discharged from the Mental Health team for failing to engage and he has a long history of serious cannabis use, crack cocaine and amphetamines. She cannot afford a solicitor, he gets Legal Aid. Can I represent her in the Family Court as she is too scared to face the hearing alone. She had a solicitor but could no longer afford the cost.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What is the hearing actually about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The hearing is to determine whether the father can have supervised access to his son. I really just need to know if I can represent her as she gets too intimidated in the court as her ex partner has a solicitor she cannot get Legal Aid & has spent over £2,000 on her solicitor. At the last hearing she could no longer afford the fees so had to represent herself. The ex partner lied to the judge saying his only issue with drugs was cannabis, but the report his solicitor sent my daughter today states he has had a long history with crack cocaine and amphetamines. The report also states he has psychosis but hasn't had an ICD10 and was discharged due to his "failure to engage" and that he stated "the medication is working". I have a law degree, but never practised law. She won't be able to represent herself as she is freaking out after this report. I just need to know if the court would let me represent her and if so, do I need to inform his solicitor and the court in advance. Thanks
I am sorry but no you cannot represent her.
You can ask to attend the hearing with her as her "Mckenzie friend
To support her take notes provide references to cases etc.
Another option is to conduct all of the cases except the hearing and then use a Direct Access Barrister in court.
However given the contents of that report even supervised contact would appear unlikely since he is not accepting his diagnosis
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you