How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35057
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If I move out of our house which has £45,000 mortgage remaining

This answer was rated:

If I move out of our house which has £45,000 mortgage remaining into rented accommodation which bills will I need to continue to pay?
I am the only earner as my husband stopped working in 2000. My 16 year old daughter wants to live with me and my 11 year old son wants to have equal time with us. My husband has a £35000 lump sum that he inherited from his father. His behavior is intolerable.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and what other assets are there?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

House is worth £500000

No other assets

I have 45000 income and he has none

Does he receive any benefits?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No he has never claimed benefits we have lived totally off my salary

Thank you

Once you move out you are no longer responsible for any bills on the house
If the youngest child spends more time with Dad than with you then you will have to pay Child maintenance
However your ex will also have to apply for Job Seekers allowance and seek employment.
You MAY have to pay some spouse maintenance whilst he is seeking employment - how much will depend on what other income he is entitled to
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Does the fact that he has £35000 lump sum that he inherited from his Dad make any difference to that decision.


That is an issue when it comes to the sale of the property and the distribution of the equity
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you