How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi Clare, my ex girlfriend is pregnant and tells me she is

This answer was rated:

Hi Clare, my ex girlfriend is pregnant and tells me she is going ahead and keeping the baby. I told her at the start of our relationship that I didn't want anymore children and she originally agreed the same. It was a shock when she told me she wants to keep it but I know it's her right to do so. I have told her that I do not wish to be involved with the child or her. I am not in a position to start a new family. She told me if I didn't want anything to do with the baby then I wouldn't be down on the birth certificate and therefore won't have parental rights and wouldn't pay maintenance . This I have agreed too. I just wondered how do I stand with this agreement please? Tom
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
If you are not named on the birth certificate you certainly will not have Parental Responsibility.
Equally you cannot be forced to see the child if you do not wish to do so
However I am afraid that you are liable to maintain the child if the child is indeed biologically yours whether or not you are named on the Birth Certificate
I am sorry to give you bad news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you