How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35059
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Family law

This answer was rated:

Hi, im at a total loss, i had a parnter fell pregnant and we split before i knew i was pregnant, he wanted nothing to do with me or the baby during pregnancy. i met a new man fell in love and married him, he was at the birth of my baby and provided everything for her, i registered my baby with just my name but my husbands surname no father on the birth certificate. Then the biological father got in touch and and we agreed some contact. my husband got parental rights through the courts very early on and the ex seemed ok with this. Now he is pushing and pushing to go on the birth certificate and im unsure of his motives, i have said i will put him on and continue with contact if he agrees my daughter has residency with us, this has made him very angry and he is now wanting to take things 'further' which im assuming is court. where do i stand on this? im happy to put him on the birth certificate if he gives me residency and how will affect parental responsibilty if 3 people have it? thanks in advance.

Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and what contact does the father have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She is 2 years and 4 months and has 14 hours a month contact with the father

ha she threatened to remove the child from your care - is that why you are seeking a Residence Order?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I just feel from our previous relationship that there is no trust and I really question his motives, I really don't want him having parental responsibility without me having some added protection/control over my daughter, he was particularly unkind to me and I feel really uneasy to just hand my daughter over I'm frightened he will try and take her from me.
Given that he already has contact with the child if he applied to the Court for Parental responsibility it is likely to be granted since he is her father and has the right to be consulted on all major issues in the child's life
It is not unusual for three people to have PR (indeed I have known more) and it simply means that he has the right to know about schools and medical issues - and to apply to the court if he disagrees with a decision that you have made
It is no longer possible to ask for a Residence Order - Residence and contact have now been replaced with Child Arrangements Orders - although such an Order can still specify which parent the child stays with and when.
I would suggest that you offer to discuss matter with him using Family mediation ( to try and find an option that suits you all
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you