How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hello I have 2 grandsons age 7 and 9 they live with there dad

This answer was rated:

Hello I have 2 grandsons age 7 and 9 they live with there dad my daughter there mother died suddenly age 23 6 yrs ago . They live with there dad I had access when I wanted but , ,last week he told me I can't see them anymore . What rights if any have I got about seeing them again they are all I have left of my daughter am at my wits end don't no what to do .
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What contact have you had in the last six months?
What explanation has been given for this action
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Clare I have seen them every week Xmas weekends he's told me he s had some complaints made to social services and they have visited him he hasn't said out right but he's blaming me ii have had nothing to do with it I have spoken to him over the last couple of years about the children .i have got concerns about the way he's looking after them there are very unkempt he doesn't bath them much there clothes well put it this way when they come to us they look dirty we take there clothes off coat as well put them in the bath put there washing in machine and then dry them off for going home .we have clothes at mine for them there hungry the oldest one will tell u had no breakfast . And one of my main concerns are the drugs he takes my 7 yr old Harvey told me last week that daddy smokes weed he spelt it out for me these boys shouldn't no about such things he's never hot any money we buy the school uniform which I don't mind cos the children will be the odd ones out my mum who's 87 buys the shoes we do what we can to help .they are all I have as a reminder of my daughter please give me some really good advice as I don't no what else to do I love them very much we take them all over the place if I was younger and in better health I would have them my self
Do you know what Social Services have actually said ( and do not worry there is a way through)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He's having weekly checks on him to sort himself out and clean the flat etc and the boys will have 1 to 1 at school my complaint was the second in about 3 week s he got a report from school they said the children are unkept untidy dirty etc have mentioned to social worker that he won't let me see him he didn't really say anything . I really don't no what to do next I am keeping a diary don't want the boys to hate me ,my daughter has been like a mother to them this is really upsetting us all need as much help that I can get
The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both sides of their family and the courts will enforce this if necessary
Although grandparents do not have any automatic right to apply for contact the court can give them permission to do so - and in your circumstances the court will see it as in the best interests of the children that they have regular and extensive contact with you as they always have in the past
You have to try and discuss matters with their father using Family mediation (
If that fails then you will have to apply for a Child Arrangement Order setting out what time the child spends with you.
This will then be enforceable.
You may find these websites useful although the government have not yet updates theirs to reflects the new name for Residence and Contact
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare I have tried to ring lee to no avail I have also text him to.let me no if there ok and when I can have them . If I don't hear anything by Sunday my husband and I will pop round sun afternoon to see them and talk with there dad lee if not we will pop to the grandparents ( lees mum & dad) as we still have the boys Easter eggs that's if we don't get a answer from lee . My husband and I are thinking of moving to Ipswich Ito be near them and watch over them .
Please consider mediation sooner rather than later