How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

i have tried to make my marriage work but feel it is time to

Customer Question

i have tried to make my marriage work but feel it is time to move on and i think to separate would be the best for everyone. where do i start and what are my rights?
many thanks
michelle jobing
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and what do you wish to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

been married 10 years with 2 children aged 9 and 10. we've been together 12 years in total. we own our own home with a mortgage of about 130,000 but the house is worth approx 300,00. i haven't had it valued as yet. i would like to know if i can stay in the house. my thoughts are that he continues to pay 1000 a month into our joint account till next july when the mortgage payment will go down substantially. i would like to keep the house and in return i will make no claim to his police pension. i do earn more than him but i pay the bulk of cost, food, clothing, christmas, birthdays, school trips, clubs dinners etc.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i also gave him 6000 to pay off debt and buy his 4th bike then i loaned 10,000 for him to buy a new car.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
How much would a cheaper three bedroom property in the same school area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I could probably get something for about 200,000 but I would need to spend 50k to put it right. Don't want to uproot kids. If this comes to fruition they are going to need some continuity.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each actually have?