How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34908
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am divorcing my husband on his unreasonable behaviour. This

This answer was rated:

I am divorcing my husband on his unreasonable behaviour. This being control and emotional abuse. I am suffering trauma as a result and am seeing a trauma counselor.

Regarding the collection of his belongings his solicitor as told me "there is no reason why Nick should not attend and collect these items. He will bring someone with him to assist and you could arrange to be away from the home".

At the moment due to my trauma I am unable to handle this. I am entitled to ask for someone else to pick up his items. I have a list of what he would like so this would not be a problem for me.

Thank you
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are there any court orders excluding him from the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi, no there are no court orders although i am considering a harrassment order as he is still sendg me and my daughter emotionally abusiveve texts.

thank you
Why would you struggle if he came to the house while you were out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have visited a trauma specialist and she has written to my ex's solicitor that what they are asking to do would retrigger the trauma. legally I dont think I have a leg to stand on but hopefully they will respect this and arrange for his belongings to be collected by somene else.
I am waiting for a respose from her.
Thank you
You are right I am afraid there is no legal argument you can make - and nothing you have said about your ex and his solicitor makes it likely that they will respect your wishes
So instead take steps to reduce the effect.
Pack all his belongings up (in open boxes so he can check them) and have them in the hall.
Ask a friend to be in the property to supervise the collection and note anything else that is taken
You go somewhere else entirely and do something just for you - whether that is a facial or rock climbing
I am sorry not to give you better news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you