How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35085
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband says he wants a divorce and is slowly taking out

This answer was rated:

My husband says he wants a divorce and is slowly taking out the things bought while we are together. I have said to him that he can't do that but he is still talking about taking them out. What can I do?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and are there any children involved
What is he taking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have been together for 14 years, married 4 of them. During the years we have gathered artwork and his main interest is model steam railways. The reason for this is in our formative years when money was not plentiful we could sell something to give us a better life. He wanted to take the artwork and the model steam trains. When I told him he could not take them he went into 'one' and asked what I wanted. I told him that all I wanted was what was due me. I have had to change the lock on him and also the police. I told him we could meet at a later date and discuss how to divide things. He was not interested.
Have you had the Art and the Models valued?
What other assets and debts are there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No we haven't. He is getting a pension, although I'm partially disabled I do no receive any money from DWP. We have never claimed housing or council tax benefit. From since I became disabled he has taken over the bills. At present there are no debts but I feel that he would not be in the frame of mind to want to divide anything. He has misplaced a sum of money and he is saying that I have stolen it. I HAVE NOT.
Is the current property rented?
How much are these items worth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The property is rented from Southwark Council. As he has been the breadwinner for the past 5 years he has been paying the bills before that we paid half and half. I can't put a true value on the items but we would probably be talking many thousand of pounds
How much does he earn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
His income varies from month to month exactly how much I do not know. I know that he gets a retainer of £500 per week and depending on how well his business has done it is rounded up and I know that in the past he has earned as much a £12,000 for one month. As I said this varied from mont to month and things have changed drastically at work so I'm not sure how much he earns now.
Are you willing to start divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He would have to be the one to start proceedings as the reason he wants a divorce is that I have deceived him
No you can issue proceedings based on his Unreasonable behaviour if you wish.
You have a number of options.
You can have the items valued immediately so that you can reclaim their value if your ex removes them;
You can move and store them yourself until you reach agreement on how they can be divided.
You can list them all and agree a division - either simply between you or using Family mediation (
Or you can issue a Divorce Petition based on his Unreasonable Behaviour and then apply for financial issues to be dealt with including the division of the assets.
In any event you should apply for any benefits to which you are entitled to ensure your personal financial position.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you