How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Hi.Im in the process of a messy break up from a partner

Customer Question


I'm in the process of a messy break up from a partner that I have a child of six years with. I have been in a relationship with the mum and lived at her house on and off for the last 7 years. in that time I have contributed around £300 / week to the household and regenerated her house to bring it up to a high standard. Now that she has broken up the relationship I feel as though I might be entitled to some kind of settlement for the monies she would ultimately make on her property if she was to sell up. What are my legal rights if any for this to be carried out? I would like to add that the cash has just passed hands and most if not all the utility bills are in her name.

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What work have you done/paid for on the property?
What was the monthly mortgage payment?