How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, I dont know if this is the correct category. My dad

This answer was rated:

Hi, I dont know if this is the correct category.

My dad has suffered from dementia for 15 years. My mum has since that time been his primary carer, as well as working a full time job. We recently have been given 4 care home visits a day by the council in an effort to aid her, since recently he was badly ill and his conditioned worsened.

He is now belligerent and angry and my mum has had enough. He passed a competency test with social services recenlty and is also joint owner of the house. Social security wont look after him as he is deemed competent. What avenues has my mum got to put him in a home, as since he is deemed competent we cant force him.

The only thing I can think of is that she withholds care from him so they are forced to act. Sounds cruel but dad is not aware of wht he is doing or where he is, whereas my mum is painfully aware, and I believe she is close to a breakdown if the present situation continues.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
It is certainly an option.
From all that you have said your mother needs a break - so tell Social Services she is away for the weekend and they will have to deal with your father.
I can only imagine how distressing this will be but there is no other option to protect your mother
However it is worth speaking to one of the Dementia Charities who may have experience of this
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,


Apologies I accidently pressed the wrong button. Thanks for your advice so far but can you let me know what further information it is that you need?


Many thanks



That was my typing error I am afraid - not other information is necessary - but I do know that you are not the only family to have had to face this awful choice so do speak to the Dementia charities
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you