How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34908
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Good evening, I split from my ex (we werent married) about

Customer Question

Good evening,
I split from my ex (we weren't married) about 3 years ago. She still lives in the "marital" home with our two daughters (16 & 14). Last autumn her boyfriend moved in with her. Does the fact that her boyfriend is co-habiting change how much child support I have to pay ?

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The house is worth about £250k and the mortgage is £220k - I am curious to know how this has a bearing on my original question.



Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The fact that your ex has a new partner living there has no effect on your child maintenance.
However it may well enable you to insist on an immediate sale of the property should you wish to do so (hence the question!
I hope that this is of some assistance - please ask if you need further details