How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Me and my wife have split up. I have three children which I

This answer was rated:

Me and my wife have split up. I have three children which I am paying for each month. There is 50k equity in the property. my ex has told me I am not entitled to my half as my children live there. She has offered me 20k. Where do I stand
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children, how much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there including pensions and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

The children are 6, 5 & 3.

House is worth £123.950

Mortgage remaining is £76.000

All dept is in my name on my credit cards ! Things purchased for the children the ex wife , house and me

I earn £28.600 per year un sure of her earnings as she works part time two days a week. No pension at present

How much is the debt?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



Credit card dept £5100

Personal loan for the car she drives balance £632.00

Interest free credit for sofas balance £450.00



Does your ex have a new partner living with her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She says she started seeing him three/four weeks after we separated. We split on 13/02/14

He now seems to spend most of the time staying there overnight etc

He has his own flat he rents but cloths etc are at the house that I once lived in.

Does he work?
Are you considering divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He does work full time. We will get divorced but not yet we don't seem to be in any rush at present. I just need to buy a new house. I had my own place before we met 13 years ago. I need as much as possible from the marital home so I can put a large deposit down on a new place.


She has told me I am not entitled to 50% of the equity and she can have some of my pension.


All she seems to be doing is trying to keep her outgoings down and does not won't to pay me more than £20k


She is getting single mothers benefits plus the money I pay in to her account plus her earnings and she has no dept as that was always in my name.


She is now paying the mortgage and the bills but I have paid them all for the last 10 years we have been in the property.



How will she obtain your release from the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At the point she buys me out we will have to arrange paperwork for me to sign

I appreciate that but the question of how she will obtain your release is very relevant.
Your ex is correct.
You cannot force a sale of the property until your youngest is 18 or your ex cohabits
She does also have a claim on half of the pension that has accrued whilst you have been married
On that basis you may feel that losing £5000 is worth it to have your money immediately and keep your pension safe.
However if she is obtaining your release form the mortgage because her new partner is taking it over then there is no reason why you should not receive your full 50%
You should try and discuss this with her using Family mediation (
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you