How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

What position am I in with regards XXXXX XXXXX ex partner who stayed

This answer was rated:

What position am I in with regards XXXXX XXXXX ex partner who stayed with me at weekends only
but has clothes in the house and goods in the garage, who after making arrangements to pick his clothes up doesn't keep to the agreement.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you know where he is currently living?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he lives with his son and also stays with his daughter. He stays with
his daughter because it's nearer to a disused quarry where he is building
a cottage/house
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure whether you got my response for more information.
My ex lives with his son in Swinton, he also stays with his daughter
at Hadfield to be nearer Hayfield where he is building a Cottage/house
in a disused quarry.
So there is somewhere safe where you could deliver his belongings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, his son works, what do I do with them if he refuses to be there it is a long way away and he has been buying lots of things from
auctions for the quarry, so I would have to hire a large van, at my expense.
What is the law on leaving his goods outside, if arrangements have been
made and he doesn't come for them
This break up was not my fault, he has been seeing other women
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like the answer to my last question, what is the law regarding, if he
doesn't pick his clothes up on an agreed day am I by law allowed to leave
his goods outside.
I am not prepared to deliver his goods myself, I would not be able to drive
a big vehicle neither do I know anyone who will..
If it will require a large truck then clearly it isn't an option.
What you need to do is write to him and give him a date - say four weeks hence by which time he needs to have collected belongings.
Tell him that at the end of that time you will sell his belongings and send him the money less the costs incurred
You cannot simply leave them outside for collection as you are responsible for them and if they disappear he can sue you for the value - but if you follow the process described above you are in the clear - and if they do not make any money then that is his problem - provided you can show that you did everything properly
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for the excellent advice
You are most welcome - good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice, I didn't want to put his goods outside, you get lots of advice off family and friends, but I prefer to take yours.

Thank Clare
Very wise - it is easy to be blamed if you do that and they disappear
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you