How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex partner is living in my house I pay the morgage all the

Customer Question

My ex partner is living in my house I pay the morgage all the utility bills everything
she has not contributed to anything since moving in with me three years ago.I moved out last August and have continued to pay for everything now that i want to sell it she has changed the front door lock refusing me access and will not speak to me.How can i remove her so i can sell my house?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No children involved we lived alone
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
May I ask why you are still paying the Utility Bills?
Have you given her written notice to leave?
is there a Court Order excluding you from the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no court order excluding me from the property I'm paying all the bills on advice I was given before and had a verbal agreement with my ex partner that when the time was right she would leave and I would sell my property
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
As a starting point notify her that you will be transferring all the Utility Bills into her name.
Also give her 28 days written notice to leave the property, informing her that at the end of that period you will re-enter the property; change the locks and pack up her belongings for collection
Then do this.
If you wish to be generous give her 56 days
The requirement is that you give "reasonable written notice" - so make sure that you send the letter via recorder delivery
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further assistance