How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Am I entitled to child maintenance from my ex husband?

This answer was rated:

Hi there, my ex-husband is telling me that I am not entitled to child maintenance as we share the childcare 50/50. He earns 4 times my salary (he earns £59k and I earn £15k). He currently pays me £200 per month. We have 2 children. He lives in the family home and I moved out and am renting. Should he be paying me maintenance and if so, how much? I receive the family allowance payments.
Thank you for your question.

Because you are getting the family allowance, you are deemed to be the parent with care and he is deemed to be the absent parent so you are entitled to child maintenance. He is entitled to a discount if he has the children for so many nights per year.

For example, I calculate that if there are two children and he has them for half the nights of the year and he earns £59000 per annum, (that is about £1134 gross per week but any pension contributions would have to be deducted), his child maintenance liability would be about £70 a week in total which is £303 per month.

So he is just over £100 per month short. If the number of nights he has the children is less than 175 the amount of maintenance would be increased accordingly.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you