How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34907
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

child maintanence in northern ireland

Customer Question

hi, i am being pursued by child maintanence in northern ireland from my ex partner as we both live in northern ireland. my ex denies me access to my 11 month girl,so i have no wish to pay for a child i cannot see.Child support are requesting i pay and are now threatening lega action.If i move to scotland or the republic of ireland, could i still end up paying child support/can child support pursue payment if i live in another country? I am a single father of a 14 year old son.I have had full custody for 10 years.He is from another relatanionship.

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that maintenance and contact are not linked.
You are free at any time to apply for contact with your daughter and from what you have said there is no reason why you should be successful.
So far as maintenance is concerned if you move out of the Jurisdiction but within the UK then the CSA can still enforce the assessment
If you do to Eire then the CSA will not be involved - but the mother can apply to the courts for a maintenance order which can then be enforced in Eire under EU regulations
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details