How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35071
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother is being slandered by my brothers partner. My brother

Customer Question

My mother is being slandered by my brothers partner.
My brother is obviously witness to this and has told my mother that his partner is slandering her.
My mother was on hand to help look after my brothers sons from the moment they were born. She looked after them 3 days a week and up until the youngest went to school.
The partner, Alison, always made it obvious from the start that my brothers family were
never going to be part of the equation, she wanted my brother to herself and wanted nothing to do with my mother and myself, and certainly didn't want us to have anything to
do with the children.
The boys are now 5 & 6 I have hardly had any contact with them since they were born, and
the only reason my mum got to see them is because she was convenient & free.
Whilst looking after the boys one day the eldest pushed the youngest down the stairs.
My mother was then stopped from looking after the boys and has been told that "she is not
fit to look after my children & cannot be trusted"
Since September 11th 2012 my mother has seen the boys a few times very briefly when my
brother has popped in with them.
I have not seen the boys for over a year, and now don't get to see my brother. My mother and I are not allowed to go to my brothers house, and yet we have done nothing but be extremely nice and generous.
My brother is in an abusive relationship but will not leave his children.
My mother has now been told by my brother that Alison has said that it is my mothers fault that "I nearly lost my son"
The eldest son had some kind of seizure whilst my mother was at the house, she rang Alison straight away, an ambulance was called and he was taken to hospital and released the same evening. It was nothing to do with my mother and could have happened at any time.
We presume that Alison has told staff at the present school that we are not allowed near the boys. My mother was also snubbed in public by the play group teachers a couple of years back and we are now both being ignored by other members of her family if we happen to see them out in public
Alison has gotten what she wanted which is us away from my brother and his children, but slandering my mother with no grounds to do so, 2 years later is out of order, and we would like to steps against her.
Please advise
Kind regards
Nicky Pattenden
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What action is your brother prepared to take to change the situation.
Is he willing to insist that the children see his family.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If he sticks up for himself she goes into a rage and makes threats regarding the children. He's always saying he will do something about it but doesn't for a quiet life. My mother is the only grandparent they have. Alison's 1/2 sister has been in the picture constantly since the eldest was born.
I know my brother has as much right over the children as she does, and if he wants to bring them to see us he can. He won't exercise his rights though.
Even when she is slandering us to him he never says anything back to her. He is very down trodden, I have even spoke to the police, who would put him in contact with the VSU but he won't ring them and gets very anxious.
She makes lots of threats, and makes out that she & her sister know a lot
about the law, which unfortunately my brother seems to believe.
All I want to know is what my mother can do about the slander?

Thank you Nicky
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
What specific things have been said and to whom?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not know the specifics, but it is along the lines of;
My mother is not fit to look after her children
She could of lost her son because of my mother
All their problems are down to my mother
They have no money because of my mother

Knowing what she is like then a lot more besides.
I will have to get back to you with some more detailed information.

Thank you


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The problem is two fold,
The first is that the Slander has to be specific and it has to be an accusation that would make the ordinary listen think badly of your mother.
What you have said sounds like the kind of thing that many women say unfairly about their mothers in law and on that basis there is no action that can really be taken unless you can find someone who is willing to tell you exactly what was said to them and that it did indeed make her think badly of your mother
Unless you can do that then there is no action that can be taken other that to continue supporting your brother to grow stronger
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details