How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi am i able to secure a divorce after 4 years in marriage

This answer was rated:


am i able to secure a divorce after 4 years in marriage that was abusive - emotionally and physically - quicker than 2 or 5 years - (I left a year ago )?

I would like an immediate divorce now that I have established a gap of a year.

He doesn't seem likely to release me easily and despite the abuse I didn't involve the police.

he did throttle me a couple of times before I left and kicked me and punched my head and was always choosing my food and my clothes - my time in and out the house was restricted by the minute if I was late back home. He resented calls from my parents to the home - is this grounds for acceleration ?

We were married abroad in nepal - he is english I am nepali and I have translations of the marriage papers.

Many thanks
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
There is no need for you to wait at all.
You can issue an immediate petition base don his Unreasonable Behaviour even if you are still in the same property
You can read more about the grounds for the divorce and the process here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks Clare


I will progress this now - wish I had known this last year but he was then overwhelming me so timing is probably better now I'm independent.


Sohvee (Shova)

You are most welcome - and carry on getting stronger!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare


When looking at the form for Divorce it asks re financial settlement


In principle I would wish to seek some financial outcome but he advised me that he wouldn't pay a penny to me and - as I am given leave to stay in the UK but would wish to seek my UK passport after 5 years in 2015 - he threatened to compromise my future by "rocking the boat" with immigration - so I am unsure re pursuing this financial right - I have my Visa to stay indefinitely but not my UK passport yet - as he made me feel vulnerable


In practice if I pursue finance I would seek is around £15000 - he owns an apartment worth 120K no mortgage but he said it was transferred to his daughters names now to prohibit my interest in that - a car worth £10K and his savings - which he has loaned to a friend to protect. - so not much cooperation ! he didnt allow me any money when I left and ssaid he wouldn't pay any of the fee for divorce.


I'm not bothered about the money in a way but feel aggrieved at the treatment physically and emotionally in the past.


Can he compromise my UK Passport ?


If I forego any financial claim at all when I submit the papers can I amend my submission later if he doesn't accept the petition which will cite the Domestic violence and emotional control ?


I dare not meet him to discuss this all face to face as he told me clearly that he would take my life before I Ieft and he acted upon it by throttling me to the point of dizziness on more than one occasion then.


I was aware it was escalating. He usually means what he says.


Thanks Clare






At this stage just tick the boxes - it does not actually start any application but makes it easier to submit a Consent Order at a later date
Your passport is not at risk