How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34908
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Step Parent adoption

Customer Question

Hi, I need advise on a step parent adoption. My daughters biological father has been absent from the time she was 2 months- she turns 8 this year. We have not had any contact or support financially from him. What is the procedure? He is on the birth certificate although we were not legally married- religiously married only. I got married 3 years ago to my husband now and we want to get him the rights of a step parent through adoption. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you any way of tracing your ex?
Is he likely to agree to the adoption?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare, I have not had any contact from him from the time he left. I only have the last known address from 8 years ago. I have no idea if he will or will not as he has not been involved with us at all since he left. My daughter has never seen or met him.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The starting point is to contact the Adoption section of your local Children Services (Social Services) who will discuss the process with you.
Your ex will need to be traced so that his permission can be sought - but even if he does not agree then adoption COULD Go ahead if the Judge felt that adoption was in the best interests of the the child
Adoption would in fact give your husband the same rights as a Biological parent - if you simply want him to have parental responsibility as a step parent then it is possible to apply to the court for a step parental responsibility agreement instead
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details