How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi Claire, following divorce proceedings, me and my Wife

This answer was rated:

Hi Claire,

following divorce proceedings, me and my Wife are disclosing Form E voluntarily, I supplied all the requested information including evidence requested, now after a month, her solicitor would like to see also my Business Bank Statements, which is not explicitly requested as part of Form E evidence as 2 years worth of certified accounts have been supplied.

Wouldn't my TAX return for the last 2 years be sufficient to prove my personal income? I don't want to give her solicitor a case to use my Limited Company turnover as an argument to pay my ex an unrealistic maintenance amount.

Can you please advise the best course of action as I have no intention to disclose my business bank statements

thanks in advance

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What is on the statements which will cause difficulty?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



no particularly, the statements shows, invoices paid in / out, PAYE/NIC payment, salaries, dividends paid into my personal accounts, corporate tax, accountancy and so on.

Why would they be interested into all this, I fear this would lead to some ludicrous claims to show my company turnover as my personal income. Would Personal TAX Return and Personal Bank Statements not achieve what is sought? (which all has already been provided as per FORM E)

Kindly advise further

i am afraid the fact is that income can be diverted in this way and accordingly it is a reasonable request that is being made
Indeed if I was acting for your ex that is exactly what I would do and I am afraid the more that you object the more likely it is that the court will order you to disclose them
If you do not wish to have to do so then you will have to make an offer that is so tempting that she does not wish to take the matter to court
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare


it is indeed. So the best course of action in your professional view is to provide all evidence that is needed or requested and argue later if unreasonable claims are made?



Yes open co-operation is always the best policy and it makes the court more sympathetic if ridiculous claims are then made!
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you