How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My wife and i have an amicable seperation after 20 years of

Customer Question

My wife and i have an amicable seperation after 20 years of being togther and 14 married. We have a 7 year old daughter - we have spent hours on working through finanaces, child arrangements etc. We are both happy with what we have prepared.

However - we both want to obatin mortages and need a "contract" that is enforcable inplace PRIOR to the Nisi and subsequent consent order. Otherwise obatiing a mortgage will be difficult. It would be our view that the contract could then roll forward and become the consent order with no changes

So if we were to have one drafted - is it legally binding and could the judge or my wife or I change things at the consent order stage?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have divorce proceedings been started - if so how far has it reached?