How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34903
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife and I have been separated for three years . She lives

This answer was rated:

My wife and I have been separated for three years . She lives in the family home with our two children 8 years and 12 years . They stay with me and my new partner alternate Fridays and Saturdays , holiday with us every year . The children have settled in to this routine and are happy . She wants to Change it now to every other weekend which means I won't see them for two weeks as it is a two hour round trip for me to get there and I'm unable to get there in the week this is unacceptable to me . If I don't agree to her demands she's informed me I'm not going to see them at all , where do I stand ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
I am not sure that I understand the current pattern of contact - could you explain it further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have the children and pick them up Friday at 6 and return them home at 6 on sat ,and the following week i pick them up Saturday at 5 and return them home Sunday at 6 . Alternate weeks so it works out we should both get two Saturdays off a month .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have the children once a week overnight either Friday to Saturday or Saturday to Sunday so i see them every week can she stop me from seeing them ?
Would a longer weekend not be better for the children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would only have contact with them every other weekend and two weeks is too long not seeing them ,me and the children like to see each other every week
has your ex said why she wishes to change the arrangements?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No reason for it she keeps changing the arrangements . I have them some weekends if she's got plans ive had them last two bank holidays and she is going away June and I'm having them then . She said that if I don't pick them up Friday and have them all weekend i can't see them at all .
The law says that children are entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary - so there is no way that you will lose contact totally at all
It is expected that the arrangements are agreed between the parents - using Family mediation ( if necessary.
If you cannot agree then an application needs to be made to the court for the court to decide.
It is hard to predict what the outcome would be if that happens
At present neither parent has a full weekend with the children and as the children move into teenage years they will also wish to have time to themselves
It would be best to use a mediator who is also trained to work with children so that their wishes can be heard as that will be your strongest argument if the matter goes to court
You can read more on these websites
I hope that this is of assistance -please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you