How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My wife is Russian by birth buts hold russian and british passport

Customer Question

My wife is Russian by birth buts hold russian and british passport as she lived in UK 9 years since we married here . We have 5 year old son who has special needs , he has always lived in UK (apart from once year family visit to Russia) but he does also hold Russian passport. My wife wants divorce or more so wants to return to Russia as says depression at lack of adjusting to Uk and no family support (all her family in Russia) . We still live in same house and have not filed divorce yet. I am currently saying I would not allow this and courts very unlikely to grant her this (I could be wrong) as my son always been in Uk and is having so much NHS support and Russia (i can get evidence) has very poor care for special needs children. or if i did give consent in divorce could offer to pay much less maintenance ? e.g a lawyer in Russia earns £1000 a month . so why should i pay her 3-4 x this is she is in country where salary and cost of living much less. I am 51 and my wife is 33 , . I am concerned and loosing my all i worked for since 18. Dean
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?