How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35057
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

divorced 2008, judge awarded 60% of house sale to ex, house

This answer was rated:

divorced 2008, judge awarded 60% of house sale to ex, house was to be placed on market no later than 2007. I have been living in the property since ,ex refused to sell and did not want to live there anymore. i now want to move my partner in with me, i have agreed that i will pay for the house to be done up and placed on the market within two years. we have been advised to do the property up by the estate agent. Ex and partner been on benifits for the last 10 years, so sale of property would contribute to them having to live off proceeds. i i have had offers to sell the house on two occasions , both times she has refused. She has not worked for 26 years therefore never contributed financially before the marriage broke down or since. what are my chances of going back to court to get the 60% reduced.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
I am a little unclear - do you wish to remain in the property or have it sold?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have stated to my ex wife that the house is in a bad state of repair . I will do the house up and put it on the market within 2 years. yes i wish to remain in the property with my partner until it is sold

I am afraid that there is no chance of renegotiating the Court Order now so you must think carefully about any money that you spend on the property increasing the value since your ex will benefit more than you
It would be wise to have an agreement signed by your ex confirming that any increase in the value of the property attributable to the work that you do is shared equally between you after credit is given to you for any out of pocket expenditure.
Were it financially possible it would be better to buy her out at the current value - but that is of course a personal decision
Do please ask if you need more details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you