How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If I end my employment due to relocation do I have to continue

This answer was rated:

If I end my employment due to relocation do I have to continue Paying spousal support
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When was the Order made and how soon are you likely to obtain alternative employment
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare


The order was made 4 years ago I tried renegotiating the payment In court around 18 months ago with out success.


I am unsure of when I will be able to find alternative employment due to the job market in the south west

I suspect I know the answer - but please confirm that your ex is unlikely to agree to it being dropped?
Will you be receiving any pat in lieu of notice in any redundancy payment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Correct it is unlikely that she will Agree. There will be no redundancy but will be 2 weeks pay in lieu of notice.


I have attached a letter that I plan to forward on.


Please advice

Attachment: 2014-05-28_080751_letter_to_paula.docx

I am sorry - I had not realised that this was a voluntary move - and that it is you who has relocated and not your job.
How much are you meant to pay a month and what capital assets do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I currently Pay £500 per month. I have a car that I am still paying for and my wife has capital of £30,000 from the sale of HER house.


I have zero savings or investments


As you can imagine £500 per month for the past 4 years as left me zero capital



What was your income whilst in work - and what will you live off - and where will you live?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My income was 35k per annum. I will be supported by my wife's income until I find something. We are currently living in a rented house funded for with the capital from my wifes house sale the rent is currently £795 per month.



Whilst there is nothing wrong with you letter if you do not get a prompt response you MUST make an immediate application to the court for a downward variation or dismissal of the Spouse maintenance Order as otherwise arrears will accrue which she can subsequently enforce
You may face some problems from the court on the basis that you have voluntarily given up your job making a temporary suspension rather than total dismissal more likely
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you