How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am the father of an illegitimate child born five days ago.

This answer was rated:

I am the father of an illegitimate child born five days ago. My girlfriend did not know she was pregnant and has only told me today about the birth. She does not want the baby and intended to put him up for adoption. I am prepared to bring up the child myself and my girlfriend would not object to that. In the circumstances, we accept that this will end our relationship. I am concerned that at some point in the future she will change her mind and wish to take the child from me, or enforce rights to contact, even though we presently agree that she will not have any contact. What can I do to ensure that this does not happen? If I form a relationship with someone else who is prepared to act as the child's mother, I think that our chances of being a settled family may be harmed if my former girlfriend later insists on being involved.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Where is the baby at the moment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The baby was initially left with the hospital but is now with foster parents. My girlfriend declined counselling over this but she has the name and number of a social worker who I understand is waiting to hear whether or not a family member will take the child. I propose to get in touch tomorrow.
Do you know if she has yet registered the birth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, the birth has not yet been registered and she will leave that to me.
She will have to attend with you since you are not married
I am afraid that the biological mother automatically has Parental Responsibility for a child and the only way that it can be removed is by way of Adoption.
I am afraid that there is no agreement that you can sign that would mean that she could not apply for contact in the future
However you can draw up an agreement setting out what has been agreed - but it will not mean that she cannot ask for contact in the future I am afraid
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you