How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35052
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Me and childrens father seperated recently (within the last

This answer was rated:

Me and childrens father seperated recently (within the last couple of months) His girlfriend of 15 months (of which i was totally unaware of!!!) has contacted me today to inform me of their relationship and also of the fact that he has been driving our kids around in his car while under the influence of drink and drugs. I have told him that due to driving the children around under the influence that I don't want him to have any unsupervised contact with them. previously he stayed with us on a saturday / saturday night, (this was due to me not trusting him to be alone with the children due to his excessive drinking) but as his infidelity has come to light, i don't think this arrangement will work anymore. what are my rights regarding stopping his contact with the children?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The oldest is 3 in september (girl) and the youngest is 2 in july (boy)

The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
However that contact needs to be safe for the children (and for you) - and clearly it is not appropriate for this to happen in the home
Accordingly it would be sensible to offer contact at a local Contact centre ( so that you can be sure that the children are safe.
You should offer to discuss this with your ex using family mediation (
I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you