How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can I legally stop my ex who has PR, seeing our daughter as

This answer was rated:

Can I legally stop my ex who has PR, seeing our daughter as I believe it's in her best interest? He has very recently started dating his cousin, who has 4 children of her own. She has also has social services involved with her children. I am very worried about my daughter being in this environment. Can you help?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is your daughter and what are your concerns regarding contact?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is 4 years old. My issue with contact is we only split on 6th April 2014. (He had already moved out previously in June 2013. We tried to make relationship work from Dec 2013 until the above date)
My main issue is that he has moved in with his new girlfriend already, she has 4 children in a 2 bedroom house. Also my ex has previously had social services involved with his other daughter (from another relationship) and his new gf has/had social services involved with her children recently. I am concerned that he is not a responsible Father and the relationship is too quick to bring my daughter into right now. She starts school in September and is already worried by this big change in life. I am concerned that this change could affect her detrimentally
Hi Louise
What contact has he had since April?
Do you know why Social Services were involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has seen her for 3 evenings a week (I work 9pm til midnight) so he was babysitting her so I could work. We then changed it to 3 eves a week from 5.30pm to 7.15pm. He was living in the same village as me then. Now he has moved away (50 min drive one way). He has not turned up for 2 consecutive Thursday's running for contact. He has only been in this new relationship approx 5 weeks.
He had social involved when his daughter was a baby as he dropped her while carrying her up to bed, while drunk. That was in 2007, he still drinks everyday.
I don't know why his new gf/cousin had social involved. But before I knew they were more than just cousins, I met her and she told me she had only just got rid of social services.
I assume that it is not contact itself that you object to - but that you need to be sure that it is safe - is that correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I don't object to her father having contact with her
But I need to know my daughter will be safe,
At all times. I don't want her brought into his new
Relationship yet, as I feel it's too early days to be doing that.
He however wants to and for her to stay there. He has
Threatened me with court and I just need to know
What my rights are and where I stand.
The law says that a child is entitle to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
HOWEVER the contact has to be safe for the chid - and given the drink and other problems you clearly need to be certain that he sees your child in a safe environment - but preferably not your home
On that basis you should offer to discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation (www, - and offer contact at a local Contact Centre (
If he will not agree then you need to nothing more - if he decides to apply to the court then there are clear Safeguarding issues in the case which means that the court will see your offer as being very reasonable
You can read more on these websites
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you