How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12086
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My husbands ex lover is demanding that he pay child maintenance

This answer was rated:

My husband's ex lover is demanding that he pay child maintenance for a child she conceived 7 years ago when they had a fling. Her husband knew about the fling and agreed to bring the child up with her and is named on the birth certificate. Paternity has never been established but her husband has raised the child (he is the house husband) and is regarded as the father. My husband has refused to have anything to do the the child and has no interest in the family. Can she demand that he have a DNA test and pay child maintenance, when the husband ( both then and now) has recognised the child as his own and has brought him up.
Thank you for your question.

Yes she can, unless her husband has adopted the child I'm afraid your husband is liable to pay child maintenance.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is this right? Why would her husband have to adopt the child, if he has already claimed him as his own by being named on the birth certificate? Won't he have to be removed from the birth certificate before she can claim that my husband or anyone else could be the father?

The natural father is the one due to pay child support. If a DNA test shows that the father named on the birth certificate isn't the natural father then the birth certificate becomes irrelevant.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Even if she is still living with and married to husband?
Yes, the biological father has a duty to pay maintenance irrespective of any other factor short of adoption.
JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you