How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35076
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Married 18 months, living together almost 2 years. He moved

This answer was rated:

Married 18 months, living together almost 2 years. He moved in to my property which has remained in my name.
We are now separated and he wants money. He contributed to the living costs by giving me £700 per month and I put £500 per month. I work part time.

The question is do I have to give him anything? He seems to think I do. We have not started legal divorce proceedings yet, but will do shortly.

I just need to know where I stand.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do they each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The house is worth about £220.000 and I have a £48,000 mortgage. There are no other assets or debts.


Hope this helps.

Where was he living before he moved in with you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He had a mobile home that he sold.

What happened to those funds and how much would he need to buy another one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We got married and had a few nice holidays, but he has never disclosed how much he has left. He did have about £28,000 but I have no idea what he has now. He is a gambler and may well have lost the lot !! To buy another would be about £30,000

Where the marriage has been short the aim of the family court is to return each of you to the financial situation you were in prior to the relationship so far as possible and then divide any excess between you
Accordingly his claim on your home is very limited - and the very worst case scenario is that yo may have to pay him a limited lump sum to help him rehouse himself
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you