How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I live with my partner in a house as tenants in common.My partner

Customer Question

I live with my partner in a house as tenants in common.My partner wants her daughter, and her daughters two children to live with us----has she the right to do this without my agreement
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is your relationship likely to continue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I accept and understand that my partner has a daughter with two kids (she also has another daughter and son).i get on well with them all,and have no problem with any of them coming to the house,to stay with there mum from time to time.
However,I feel that if her daughter and two children (the children are 4 and 1 years old) move in,it would put a strain on our relationship.
I feel this would affect my privacy,being woken up in the early hours of the morning,and having the whole house taken over .
I try to support my partner and her family ,but allowing her daughter and kids to move in ,would be a bit overwhelming .
To answer your question,I would like to think our relationship would continue,but feel this could end it.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The simple legal fact is that your [partner is entitled to have any guests in the house that she wishes - but when she is not there they have no right to be there and you can insist that they leave
Of course this is of no help to you whatsoever as it shows how the law is a sledgehammer in such situations where in fact what is need is negotiations and understanding
Your only real way forward is couples counselling I am afraid so that you can explain to her that your home is just that - your home - and lovely though it is to have visitors you do not wish or feel able to share it with children at this stage in your life.
This is not unreasonable on your part!
Please ask if you need further details