How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My girlfriend and her 4 year old son want to move in with me.

This answer was rated:

My girlfriend and her 4 year old son want to move in with me. She has no assets of her own. We've been a couple for 18 months.

I currently pay the mortgage & all the bills on my home. Everything is in my name & I'm not asking for any contribution from her as she isn't working at the moment.

In future, if the relationship goes sour, what claim could she have over my assets? What can I do to protect myself? I've heard there may be a law change to protect "common law" spouses. Would a law change supercede any "pre-nup" or financial agreement?

For clarity, I have 2 children from a previous marriage who stay at weekends. I have no intention of ever marrying again, and I won't have any more children.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Your best option will be a Cohabitation Agreement setting out the financial arrangements between you - including how much notice you have to give her if the relationship comes to an end
Be generous - offer at least two months notice - or better still three given the small child.
You do need to be careful not to allow her to make a financial contribution to any alterations or improvements to the property - or the mortgage - unless you do decide that she should share the equity
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** aware of co hab agreements. However, as I mentioned in my last email, if the law should change in future to allow for greater p rotection for common law spouses, would the co hab agreement become void?
That is impossible to say as at present there is no such legislation planned - it is just a possibility.
However it is almost certain that some form of protection will be built in
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you