How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35047
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My estranged husbands new girlfriend has been harassing and

This answer was rated:

My estranged husband's new girlfriend has been harassing and threatening me. I dont really want her around my 20 month old child is there anything I can do.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What contact does your husband have and how long has he been with his new partner?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He was having an affair with this person for 6 weeks before he left in march. He sees our daughter alternate weekends and sundays. Also one night during the week. He isn't living with her he has his own place

Have you reported the threats?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I called the police on monday and it was logged I am making a statement at the police station in the morning

Has she threatened the child at all?
has she met your child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has taken our child to stay overnight at her family home and she has also stayed with them at his place. She hasn't threatened my child as far as I know. She has 4 children of her own and he also has 2 more older girls that the has access to at the same time

That makes it a little more complicated
Do you know what she has suddenly started threatening you?
Does she have a record of violence at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My ex says she has but I dont know for sure. She has contacted me on and off since the beginning everytime they have a row I recieve something but last time was the first physical threat. I have blocked her

number so she used my step-daughters facebook messenger and pretended to be her this time she asked questions about when I had last seen my husband which was last monday when we spoke about getting back together. Well obviously when she saw this she admitted who it was and then the threats to come to my house came

So it would be fair to say that their relationship is not entirely stable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not at all in my opinion

In general terms given the fact that she has had contact in the past it would be difficult for you now to restrict the contact in the future
However the fact that she has started making threats and the relationship is so clearly volatile does mean that you do have some leverage in the matter.
The starting point is to discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation ( and request that for the time being his girlfriend is not part of the contact
However if he will not agree you will then have a difficult choice to make
You can either simple stop the current pattern of contact and limit it to visiting contact - and wait for your ex to apply to the court - or you can apply to the courts yourself for a Prohibited Steps Order stating that your ex should not allow his partner to have contact with the child.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you