How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

We have been living together for 13 years and married for 6

Customer Question

We have been living together for 13 years and married for 6 of and living in my house which is in my name.

All of a sudden my wife wants it to be put in both names. In the event of separation will this allow her to get me out and / or claim all of property in event of a divorce?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Worth - c.£750,000. No mortgage. 1 child - 6yrs old

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No response received for 1 hour?

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
My apologies for the delay
In fact whether her name is on the deeds or not does not effect her entitlement in the event of a divorce.
It would however be more effective in the event of your death and would certainly give her more security in that event
Please ask if you need further details