How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I am currently living with my (our) son in a property which

Customer Question

I am currently living with my (our) son in a property which is worth(NNN) NNN-NNNN(morgage of 250000) which is jointly owned by me and my partner - he moved out 3.5 years ago into another property he owns solely. I have been paying the morgage on the house since he moved out) He now wants me to sell the house so that he can get half , what are my legal rights ? I do not want to rush into selling the house as I would rather buy him out if I could - We are not married but have owned this house for 16.5 years
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How old is your son?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi clare thank you for your quick reply , the house is worth a million pounds , the morgage is 250,000 ,my son has just turned 17

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
How much do you earn - how realistic is it that you can but him out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i earn £45.000 - would having a tenant proving more income help?