How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKfamsol Your Own Question
UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 560
Experience:  Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
UKfamsol is online now

I am trying to get a divorce but my papers (D80) have been

This answer was rated:

I am trying to get a divorce but my papers (D80) have been returned twice to me because my husbands signature is a squiggle and I am unsure how to say I identify it on the form.
Hello and thanks for your question.

The D80 is the statement that the petitioner has to complete once the respondent has signed the acknowledgemnet of service form and returned it to court.

I need a bit more information to be able to answer your question -
1. What did you base your petition on?
(adultery, behaviour, 2 years separation, 5 years separation?)
2. Do you yourself recognise the signature as your husband's?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The petition is based on 5 years separation and I do recognise the squiggle as his signature but I responded with his full name as I couldn't copy the squiggle. How do I identify it?
Hello again

I've just had a look at the D80e from the court website - and I think you must be using an out-of-date version, because the currrent form does not ask you to specify HOW your husband has signed - but simply to say that you identify the signataure as his.

Here's the link:-

It's the section on the last page which states:

"I identify the signature appearing in paragraph 10(a) of the acknowledgment of service, a copy of which I have attached to this statement and marked ‘A’, as the signature of my spouse civil partner, who is the Respondent in these proceedings"

so you tick the box to the left of this statement, tick spouse, complete the rest of the form, and staple a copy of the acknowledgement of service signed by your husband to the form , with a big "A" written by you at the top of the first page of the acknowledgement of service form.

Then to apply for your decree nisi, you also need to complete the application form for the decree nisi D84.

Here's the link:

Then make a complete copy of both for your onw records, and then hand in the orginals to the court office.

It may take a week or so for the papers to be considered by the district judge, but then you will hear from the court with a date for the decree nisi (you don't have to be at court for that ). 6 weeks and 1 day after the decree nisi has been pronounced, you can apply for the decree absolute.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks and best wishes...

UKfamsol and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The form I completed was the one the court sent me?
Hmmm - just check to see if the form they sent you is the same as the one I've sent you the link to (which is bang up to date as I got it from the court website just now) - copy and paste the link if it won't let you click on it....

OR - is there any OTHER reason that the court office rejected your form? Make sure you've answered every single question- let me know if there's any question you're not clear about.

Hope this helps - best of luck - and thanks for your positive rating and payment - much appreciated!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

sorry I hope it's still ok to communicate with you.

I have just checked and it turns out the court sent me forms from 2012 and they are slightly different, so many thanks for that. However,

the wording on question 10 is still exactly the same- I did tick the box you suggested about the identification of the signature but I wrote his full name in the box when his signature is an unrecognisable squiggle- no letters are recognisable. Although I do know this is his signature.

This is driving me crazy your help is much appreciated!


Just tick the box to say you identify it as your husband's signature! That's ALL you need to do!

If the form you are using requires you to write out the signature, then the form is out of date!

Oh! I have just had a thought - are you putting HIS signature in the box marked statement of truth? That box is for YOUR name and YOUR signature as the petitioner. And also you need to add the date.

best wishes....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to say the problem has been solved now, thanks to you noticing I was filling in the form from 2012. It seems crazy that no one mentioned this through the court but anyway thanks for your input it has solved my problem.

Thanks alot

You're very welcome!