How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my ex lives in our joint property. he paysmortgage but now

This answer was rated:

my ex lives in our joint property. he paysmortgage but now in arrears and we have both been sent a court date for a repossesion order. do i have to attend?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How much are the arrears?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The house is up for £114000 but that more realistic at £110000. Mortgage outstanding is £87,000.

Arrears are £1900.


I divorced under emotional abuse and moved to rented accommodation but had to prove i was trying to sell family home to receive housing benefit. My ex has made it very difficult. My 18 and 20 yrs son and daughter live with me. I have m.e. and fibromyalgia and unable to work.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

House worth £110000 and Mortgage £87,000. Arrears £1900. We are divorced on grounds of emotional abuse by my ex. I moved out and have home up for sale. This is at his mercy as jointly owned.

I assume then that you are happy for it to be sold, so simply write to the Court and say that you have received the paperwork and have no objection to the Order being made
You should send a copy of this to the Mortgage Company as well
You may wish to consider making an application to the court for the financial issues to be dealt with to see if you can get a larger share of the equity
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you