How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKfamsol Your Own Question
UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 560
Experience:  Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
UKfamsol is online now

I have a 2 year old son and live in Jersey Channel Islands

This answer was rated:

I have a 2 year old son and live in Jersey Channel Islands - I wish to move back to the UK - the father of my son has decided to go to a lawyer who says he can stop my move. He does not have parental responsibility but is named on the birth certificate. i have been told that I have to adhere to what he wants. He has never regularly seen his son and nor has he been regular with maintenance payments. Is there anything I can do?

The Channel Islands have a separate legal system from the rest of the UK, so you need to get legal advice from a specialist family law solicitor in the Channel Islands. The general rule regarding international disputes about children is that they must be resolved by the family court in the country where the child nornally lives - so my guess is that you will have to take this to court in Jersey - but please ask a local solicitor for advice.

The charity Reunite can advise you as they have specialist advisers on just this sort of issue. They are the leading charity specialising in the movement of children across international borders. Their website is, and their telephone advice line is:-

+44 (0) 01162 556 234

They also offer a specialist mediation service, which incudes discussing with parents relocation - where one parent wishes to reside with their child in a different country.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks and best wishes...

UKfamsol and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you