How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

Dear Sir,I am informed that as my daughter is paying the

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir, I am informed that as my daughter is paying the mortgage on her own her husband no longer has a claim on the house. Is this correct please. He had a affair and they have lived apart for 12 months now. Thank you, David

Ps.My daughters husband as well as paying no mortgage he pays no other upkeep of the house either. He pays £50.00 per week only for his six year old daughter.


My name is Mac. I can help you with your question.

No, I am afraid you have been misinformed. The fact that your daughter is paying the mortgage is not enough of itself to ensure that her husband has no financial claim on the house.

The extent of his (and her) financial claims will depend on a number of factors including the length of the marriage, their respective expenditure needs, the needs of any children, their earning capacities, their ages etc. It is very discretionary area of law, but your daughter certainly should not think she is safe just because she pays the mortgage (I'm sorry to say).

I hope that is helpful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Mac,


Thank you for your reply, however may I ask are you a qualified person in this profession or are you someone who provides information from other sources.


Hello David,

I don't mind you asking at all. I am a solicitor who specialises only in family law. I am a partner, and have 10+ years experience.

familylawexpert and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Mac,


Thank you for your reply.


Excellent service and should I need expert service again I know who to come to.





Thank you David.

If you have no further aspect to your question, I should be very grateful if you would rate my answer.