How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hi, I would like to bring an au pair from Lebanon to live

This answer was rated:

I would like to bring an au pair from Lebanon to live with me and help look after my children while im at work. I need to know the following:
- what are the visa requirements for Lebanese nationals coming as au pair?
- what papers this au pair have to provide and what they need to prove
- is there an age limit for them?
- what are my responsibilities towards them?
- any other rules that apply around my circumstances in the UK?

Many thanks,
Hi Manar,

The only category of visa available to a person in these circumstances is a domestic work visa.

You will see the government's page on this visa is here:-

The eligibility criteria is here:-

You will see that there is also a link to the documents that they will need to provide.

It's very important that you are able to show that you have employed them where you are for longer than one year and that they will leave after 6 months. There are no exceptions to this.

Provided they are between 18 to 65 years old there are no age restrictions.

You will see that you will have employment responsibilities to them whilst they are here, which are dealt with in a separate heading on the page on eligibility.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Thomas,
Thanks for your reply. Sorry I don't think I made it clear that I'm a British citizin and live in London, but want to hire a nanny from Lebanon.
Not that I work there and want to bring my maid along.

Can you help?

I'm afraid that it probably won't be possible for you to bring her here in these circumstances. The difficulty is that you cannot now apply for the above visa because you are living in the UK, and it's required that you live outside the UK and are returning for a bit.

Additionally, if you are living in the UK then you obviously cannot have employed them for a year which is another reason why it wouldn't work.

In the past people have tried getting applicants Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker visas, but this doesn't work because it's not really for the purpose of assisting a business.

Additionally, she cannot apply for a visit visa and work because this would be an immigration breach.

I am sorry, there is no appropriate visa in these circumstances.

Kind regards

Thomas and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you