How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

Hi If a girl asks for paternity settlement from the father

Customer Question

Hi If a girl asks for paternity settlement from the father and they are unmarried ...please can you tell me what she is entitled to ? I have heard she may ask for help with the baby's cot etc and a monthly amount in support as a percent of income and even school fees and a place to live..also does the child have an automatic right to inheritance ?

but what if the father cant afford all of these things ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question.

The mother is entitled to make a claim through what used to be called the Child Support Agency. See link below.

Unless the father has income of more than £3,000 per week, or substantial savings, then that generally is the extent of what the mother can claim from him.

On a related note, it is much better for both the mother and the father if they can agree to pay the amount that the CSA would make the father pay, rather than actually using the CSA. You can use the above link to calculate it.